Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Tea Time Tipple

"The importance of jam and cream in bonding a community should not be underestimated." - Dulce May Booker
It's absolutely no secret that I'm a bit of a nanna. I'm not sure what gives it away though. Perhaps it's my predilection for gardening, baking scones, and enjoying a nice cup of Earl Grey - no gumboot tea for me thank you very much! I have also been known to order the odd Dubonnet Cocktail - the Queen Mum's favourite tipple - simply equal parts Dubonnet and gin served over ice with a lemon twist.

This weekend past, however, called for a new potion to go with my afternoon repast of scones, jam and cream (don't they look good - thanks mum for your swell recipe!). Hence the Tea Time Tipple was born. After finishing a hot cuppa, I put the kettle back on so I could allow my creation to brew.

I've recently developed an obsession for home-made soda. It's a quick and easy way to develop a tasty beverage at home for me and my lady without having spend too much time in the kitchen fiddling around with shakers, strainers and other cocktail apparatus every time someone goes dry. Prepared ahead of time you can simply pour your favourite poison into an ice filled glass and top with your bespoke soda to order. Voila! An instant praiseworthy potable.

Tea Time Tipple
120ml home-made earl grey soda*
45ml gin (Tanqueray works a treat) or un-peated Scotch
Lemon twist for garnish

Add your preferred tipple to a high-ball glass. Add ice cubes and top with your home-made soda. garnish with a lemon twist.


*Earl Grey Soda
550ml strong, cooled earl grey tea
100ml sugar syrup or honey water
60- 100ml lemon juice to taste

Combine ingredients in a large measuring jug and adjust lemon juice to taste. Funnel into your siphon ensuring that the mix is well strained. Charge with one soda bulb and chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment