Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The PrePay Cocktail

What's old mate Nosferatu doing here? Read on...
If you've met me then you know I'm fairly easily impassioned about any cause high or low (especially after a couple of my high proof concoctions). Whilst this particular blog isn't meant to be the poster board for my ravings some things just can't be ignored. Inefficiency and illogicality have to be two of my pet hates and both these abhorrent traits can be found in the dastardly Sydney Buses PrePay system.

For those of blissfully unaware of the workings of inner-city Sydney public transport I'll quickly explain the ins and the outs. On weekdays would-be passengers catching a bus in the CBD between 7am and 7pm must purchase their tickets before boarding a bus. This ruling is employed apparently for the benefit of the commuter with savings, and efficiency promoted as the key motivators.

Whilst it is true that buying a 'Travel Ten' is cheaper than buying tickets individually, the cost of taking the bus in Sydney has gone up 15% since the scheme was introduced. Efficiency is the also the exact opposite of what has been created too. Drivers with a till and ticket machine in front of them will march you off the bus if you don't have a ticket despite them being perfectly able to sell you one on the spot. This often means you will be forced to miss your bus and queue in the rain with other scorned and weary travelers at a ticket booth operated by one surly, arithmetically challenged, retailer during peak hour.

I ask you who the prepay system benefits? Sydney Buses and their employees? Most definitely. Tourists, infrequent service users and commuters? Most definitely not!

My last horrific bus ordeal on a stormy autumnal Sydney evening saw me not only miss my bus and get drenched whilst waiting to buy a ticket, but also took 1 hour and 15 minutes to get from Circular Quay to Pyrmont - on the other side of Darling Harbour! Understandably by the time I got home I was in need of a drink. I felt I had earned one.

Being in the middle of my Parched March charity bar odyssey, I ended up going to a few bars. My 'excessive brand loyalty' to the Parched March cause did cost me the morning after. I was in need of a remedy for last night's indulgence and it was with this in mind that I created the PrePay Cocktail - available only on weekdays between 7am and 7pm. And only to those who have paid for their efforts from the night before the morning after. 

Admittedly The PrePay Cocktail is a simplified adaptation of the Bax Beet Pinot. Individually bottled and served in a Burgundy glass, Tippling Club's (Singapore) creation is an earthy mix of fresh beetroot juice, the indomitable hangover cure Fernet Branca, Antica Formula vermouth and lime juice. 

The PrePay Cocktail, deliciously sanguineness, is served in a rather Gothic over sized chalice representing the the life sucked out of us all by the vampirishness of bureaucracy that has us following rules, regulations and codes as opposed to common sense.

The sanguineness PrePay Cocktail
The PrePay Cocktail
45ml Fernet Branca
90ml Biotta Organic Beetroot Juice
30ml Gently hand-squeezed pink grapefruit juice (to avoid bitterness)

Stir as best one can whilst bleary eyed. Strain the blood red mix into a chalice. A few of these in quick succession will revive the corpse, dust the brain and open the eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment