|Treat your lovely lady to a home-made ice cream delight|
|A delicious treat for the weekend|
Makes approxiamtely1 imperial pint or 8 scoops
300ml Unhomogenised organic milk
1/2 Cup white sugar
Pinch of salt
1 vanilla pod (split with seeds scraped)
1 egg (beaten)
250ml pure cream
Approximately 60ml Appleton Estate V/X rum (allow an extra tot or two for the chef)
3/4 cup Raisins
- Place the freezer canister of your ice cream maker in the freezer over night (for at least 12 hours at minus 15-20° Celsius).
- In a saucepan add milk, salt, sugar and vanilla pod (including seeds - it's black gold!) over a medium heat. Heat until milk it almost comes to the boil being careful not to let the mixture stick.
- Reduce heat. Gradually add half of the milk mix to your beaten egg stirring constantly to avoid cooking the egg. Add the milk/egg milk back into the pot. Stir regularly until the mixture slightly thickens - you're basically making a custard.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool. Place the mixture in the fridge and chill well - preferably overnight.
- Soak your raisins in rum. Appleton Estate V/X is my pick for a full flavoured rum at a good price point. I always have a bottle of this on hand. Soak for at least 6 hours and chill in your fridge as well.
- Once the custard is well chilled remove the vanilla pod and beat in cream with a wire whisk. Add the Raisins and about 30ml of the raisin infused rum.
- Pour the whole lot into your ice cream machine to churn and allow to freeze.